Thursday, January 23, 2014

Saved By The Trinity - Introduction

I want to devote the next few posts to discussing salvation as a work of the Trinity. Today it is common to think, "I am saved by Christ!" Well, that is partially true. We are saved by Christ, but we are not saved only by Christ; we are saved by the Father and the Holy Spirit as well.

To begin our discussion, I want to say one thing: I am not suggesting that one member in the Trinity is more divine, or more God, than the other. The 1689 London Baptist Confession says in Chapter 2, paragraph 3:
"In this divine and infinite Being there are three subsistences, the Father, the Word (or Son), and Holy Spirit, of one substance, power, and eternity, each having the whole divine essence, yet the essence undivided...all infinite, without beginning, therefore but one God, who is not to be divided in nature and being..." 
Though each person in the Trinity is equally God, they have different roles. To illustrate what I am talking about, let's look at marriage. A woman is no less human than a man. The man is not more important than the woman. They are both equally human, equally made in the image of God (Gen. 1:27).

Yet, the man and the woman have different roles in marriage (Eph. 5:22-33). The man is called to love his wife as Christ loved the church, and to lead her; and the woman is called to submit to her husband, not as a slave, but as a companion and a helpmeet. Just because they have different roles does not mean that one is inferior to the other. Again, they are both made equally in the image of God, though they have different roles.

As we consider this topic, it is important that we remember: each person in the Trinity is equally God, though they have different roles.

I want to share a quote from A.W. Pink, where he summarizes the roles of the Trinity:
"Each of the three persons in the blessed Trinity is concerned with our salvation: with the Father it is predestination; with the Son propitiation; with the Spirit regeneration. The Father chose us; the Son died for us; the Spirit quickened us. The Father was concerned about us; the Son shed His blood for us, the Spirit performs His work within us."
- The Sovereignty of God, Wilder Publications, p. 57

4 comments:

  1. Very Interesting, However they all work together for us to be saved. The Holy Spirit convicts us, the Father has compassion on us, and the Son shed his blood for us, considering that the Son, though even though is God himself in man form, came down and died on the cross and he was the Christ, I think we can safely say that "I have been saved by Christ." I agree that one of the trinity have no grater role over the other, but also they each have different parts. Like marriage.

    2Ti. 1:9 " who saved us and called us to a holy calling, not because of our works but because of his own purpose and grace, which he gave us in Christ Jesus". I think "He" refers to God, also the trinity. But yet the bible clearly states that we are save by, through, in and of Christ Jesus!

    I do not mean to argue or anything, I am just stating my opinion on the subject, I enjoy reading your post and I think that God may have something in the future for you! I hope I didn't offend you!

    ~Hannah B.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your comment, let me clarify.

      I didn't suggest that it was wrong to say, "I am saved by Christ." In the first paragraph I said, "We are saved by Christ, but we are not saved only by Christ." The point I was trying to make was: we are saved by the work of the Trinity.

      I believe that A.W. Pink's quote summarized the roles of each person in the Trinity very well:

      "Each of the three persons in the blessed Trinity is concerned with our salvation: with the Father it is predestination; with the Son propitiation; with the Spirit regeneration. The Father chose us; the Son died for us; the Spirit quickened us. The Father was concerned about us; the Son shed His blood for us, the Spirit performs His work within us."

      To God be the Glory!

      Delete
  2. I loved how A.W. Pink explains it...God the Father in predestination, God the Son in propitiation, and God the Holy Spirit in regeneration!! AMEN!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is really good and true what you write!
    Anyway - we are human beings and His creations - I want to say that we never can understand (in the meaning of explaining or knowing everything about this) God until the last corner of His heart or mind because He is God and greater and deeper and holier than everything that we know). Jesus Christ died for us - and His Father's heart was broken ... it is hard and difficult to understand this with our human brain. God sent His son down to the earth for us.
    Jesus says: "I and the Father are one." John 10:30
    Jesus had been living as a human being down on earth for several years ... while God has been reigning the world from heaven (never stopping doing that).

    Sometimes (often) I think God in His Holiness is much too big for my brain. And I do not need to explain everything. Jesus Christ died for me. And I am so grateful. And the Trinity is something so great and wonderful and mysterious that I am standing breathless and admiring and ... just looking forward to "seeing" in heaven.

    ReplyDelete